History of Hinxden Farm Dairy
The Manford family settled at Hinxden Farm in 1930 and milked a herd of only five cows. It rose slowly to twenty cows in the 1950's. When a neighbouring farm became available for rent we increased our acreage to 85 and with that our cow numbers.
Today we farm approximately 700 acres part owned, part rented and have two herds, Pedigree Guernsey and Holstein Fresian. The cows graze grass during the summertime and loose housed on straw during the winter. They eat a mix of homegrown grass and maize silage with cereal based concentrates.
Milk quotas were introduced in 1984. In 1988 we took the opportunity to buy a small local dairy to diversify into the retail market. We have expanded and now deliver to homes within a 10 mile radius of the farm and restaurants, cafes, hotels, schools and shops in Kent and East Sussex.